Salient to Investors:
- The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Ebola could spread to hundreds of thousands more people by the end of January, 2015, with a worst-case scenario at 550,000 or more infections assuming no additional aid or intervention by governments and relief agencies.
- UN envoy David Nabarro said the disease is advancing in an exponential fashion, and to get ahead of the outbreak our level of response needs to be 20 times greater.
- The University of Tokyo and Arizona State University predicted last month that in a worst case scenario there would be as many as 277,124 new cases by the end of the year, while uncontrolled cross-border transmission could fuel a major epidemic to take off in new geographical areas.
- Columbia University predicted 18,755 cases by October 26 under the status quo, but 49,129 if intervention and containment efforts degraded.
- The UN said curbing the outbreak will require investments of $988 million over the next 6 months – 30% of which has come in so far.
Read the full article at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-19/ebola-worst-case-scenario-has-more-than-500-000-cases.html
Click here to receive free and immediate email alerts of the latest forecasts.