Salient to Investors:
Ezra Klein writes:
- The most important piece of economic policy in 2013 is immigration reform.
- A tenth of the US population is foreign-born. Over 25% of US technology and engineering businesses started from 1995 to 2005 had a foreign-born owner, while half of all tech startups in Silicon Alley had a foreign-born founder. Immigrants start businesses and file patents at a much higher rate than native-born Americans.
- Immigrants lift wages.
- Everyone agrees that aging economies with low birth rates are in trouble, e.g Japan. The ratio of working Americans to retirees will drop from 5-to-1 today to 3-to-1 in 2050.
- In the global draft for talent, the US almost always gets the first-round picks.
- The Congressional Budget Office found that legalizing undocumented immigrants would increase federal revenue by $48 billion while costing only $23 billion in increased public services.
Read the full article at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-29/to-fix-the-u-s-economy-fix-immigration.html
Free email alerts of articles as soon as they are posted.