Salient to Investors:
Jon Stein at Betterment writes:
- Everybody should watch the PBS Frontline report, The Retirement Gamble.
- Educate yourself
- Choose low cost investments… every time. Morningstar found that low-cost funds outperformed high-cost funds in every single time period and data point tested. A 2 percent difference in fees can add up to a loss of two-thirds in returns over time.
- Don’t delay investing – the effect of positive compounding is bigger than you think.
- Indexing wins hands down.
- Seek Transparency. Complex structures often indicate legal kickbacks.
- Ask for Fiduciary Duty. Many “advisors” are not registered investment advisors, but brokers or salespeople for the funds you may invest in, so do not have to act in your best interest.
- Don’t Do It On Your Own.
Read the full article at http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonstein/2013/05/12/the-anti-gamble-retirement-plan/
Click here to receive free and immediate email alerts of the latest forecasts.