Salient to Investors:
Fareed Zakaria said:
- Russia is a great power in decline accounting for only 3.4% of global GDP versus China’s near 16% and almost 4 x Japan’s and 5 x Germany’s.
- China’s very different approach to foreign policy constitutes the most significant and dangerous shift in international politics since the end of the Cold War.
- Chinese nationalism has risen sharply. The Christian Science Monitor found that the number of anti-western polemics in the official “People’s Daily” so far in 2014 is 3x that versus the same period a year ago.
- China has moved from being anti-American to post-American.
Henry Kissinger says China has never been comfortable with the idea of a global system of equal states.
Elizabeth Economy at the Council on Foreign Relations
- China was ready for Xi Jinping, a leader who wants to project Chinese power.
- 670,000 premature deaths in China are reported to be from air quality.
- The insidious side of Chinese nationalism will not tolerate a diversity of opinion and will chill the creativity and innovation that they want to support, while undermining its efforts to become a global leader with a shared vision for the Asia-Pacific.
David Lampton at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.
- China has crushing domestic problems, with demographics working against it.
- China will be increasingly cooperative on issues like climate change, but will continue to push its sovereignty.
Stuart Butler at Brookings said:
- More people are enrolling into online MOOCs than into actual colleges.
- Student tuition debt in the US exceeds credit card debt.
- Today’s online education is not our grandfather’s online education – it is completely transformed.
- Traditional universities have got to rethink fundamentally what they do, how much they do, how long an education should be, whether it should be all at one place.
- It has taken a while for business to wake up to what is going on in higher education – very soon colleges and universities will be seen as the equivalent of assembly companies.
Watch the video at http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/category/gps-episodes/ or read the full transcript at http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1411/16/fzgps.01.html