Salient to Investors:
Fareed Zakaria said:
- Most transitions to democracy bring bitter struggles, viz South Korea, Taiwan, Chile.
- Tunisia is almost entirely Sunni so has no sectarian and tribal differences and has had wise political leadership.
- The end of China’s one-child policy was an admission that its greatest obstacle to long-term economic growth was its demographics.
- The global population is twice that of 1968.
- The Pew Research Center reports 98% of the American Association for the Advancement of Science scientists believe in evolution theory versus 65% of Americans. Ben Carson represents the height of arrogance to believe that humans can understand God’s mystery.
- The Defense Department says that in just 20 months China reclaimed 17 times more land than Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and Taiwan have claimed over the past 40 years combined.
Richard Haass at the Council on Foreign Relations said:
- 50 US ‘so-ops’ in Syria is not the beginning of restoring Syria as a country but an effort to stabilize it to allow diplomacy to succeed. Success in Syria would be 4-6 enclaves. The US goal is not to restore Iraq or a functioning national Syria but to keep innocent people alive and the terrorists from gaining territory.
- A Middle East where Sunnis are dominated by ISIS would not be a success for Iran, who, along with Russia, understand that Bashar al-Assad has to go eventually.
Ruchir Sharma said:
- The UN predicts over 2 billion more people in the next 35 years, but the rich world, especially Europe, faces a population implosion. As countries develop, their birthrates plunge: work population growth that averaged nearly 2% per annum for decades is now down to 1%. Women average less than 2 children in 83 countries that account for nearly half of the global population. The fertility rate in India is down to below 3 from over 6 in 1960.
- Countries will thrive economically only if they become immigrant-friendly or increase their fertility rate.
Ann Selzer at Selzer & Co. said
- US political debates do matter.
- A candidate can conquer Iowa but not a California or a Texas in a meaningful way.
- I never make predictions because they always include a wish.
Richard Dawkins at Oxford said:
- Evolution is a fact, as much of a fact as the Earth orbiting the Sun. The most powerful evidence for evolution is molecular genetics.
- That all the Republican candidates except one say they do not believe in evolution is a disgrace. Evolution is the bedrock of biology, which is the bedrock of medicine, so for Ben Carson not to understand the fundamental theory of his own subject is a terrible indictment.
- It is arrogant to say we know what God does.
Watch the video at http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/category/gps-episodes/ or read the full transcript at http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1511/01/fzgps.01.html
Click here to receive free and immediate email alerts of the latest forecasts.