Salient to Investors:
Fareed Zakaria said:
- Continued sanctions are highly unlikely to halt Iran’s nuclear program, which has expanded under for two decades under sanctions – from below 200 centrifuges in 2003 to 19,000 today.
- The US would effectively have to go to war with Iran to destroy its nuclear facilities, thereby triggering a strengthened Iranian government with a clear rationale to acquire a nuclear deterrent, and helping the Islamic republic gain domestic support. Iran’s oil revenues are more than enough to rebuild its facilities.
- The Intl Center for Prison Studies said the US imprisons the most people by far – nearly 1 in 4 of the world’s inmates – despite only 1/20th of the world’s population. Norway and Denmark’s overall incarceration rate is 10 times lower than the US,
James A. Baker at Rice University said:
- There may be upside to a dialogue with Iran provided that we can trust them: but I am very leery of trusting the current leadership. We would alienate all of our allies in the region.
- The US should not put boots on the ground to destroy ISIS. The GCC countries love to free ride off America. We cannot be the policeman for the world.
- The West has to find a way to bring Russia back into the community of nations. Putin’s actions are reminiscent of Hitler: slice here, slice there, talk but don’t do anything about it.
- The prospects of a two-state Palestine solution are bleak but it is critical to Israel’s future, otherwise it will be hard for it to maintain both its Jewish and democratic characters because of the overwhelming demographics.
Dean Ornish at Preventive Medicine Research Institute said:
- We are not a victim of our genes. Simple lifestyle changes like a whole foods plant-based diet, modern exercise, stress management techniques like yoga and meditation, and getting the love and support we need can even reverse heart disease and prostate cancer.
- Animal protein is bad for you.
- Chronic emotional stress can increase the risk of almost any illness, and even shorten the ends of our chromosomes that can tell how long we live.
- Obamacare is a game-changer because it incentivizes doctors to do more prevention and health care and lifestyle intervention. – doctors/hospitals get to keep what is left over. So the fewer procedures and hospitalizations you have, the better.
Watch the video at http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/category/gps-episodes/ or read the full transcript