Salient to Investors:
Boston Consulting Group said:
- Asia-Pacific centers such as Singapore and Hong Kong are expected to receive most of the newly created wealth in the region that finds its way offshore.
- Hong Kong has the greatest concentration of billionaires followed by Switzerland.
- Asian wealth outside Japan will surpass North America by 2017.
- China will pass Japan to become the world’s second-wealthiest nation by 2017 and will have more millionaire households than Japan by the end of December.
- The number of millionaire households in the US in 2012 was 4 times as many as China or Japan.
- Private banks must build a presence in Asia as the region’s centers increase their share of offshore wealth to 18 percent by 2017 from 15 percent in 2012.
- Switzerland remains the largest center for offshore private wealth, while the proportion of assets held in Zurich, Geneva and London will decline.
- The offshore industry is still viable as wealthy people look to spread their assets across different booking centers and seek domiciles with discretion and economic stability.
- Emerging markets will surge on new wealth creation over the next 5 years, with India set to more than double private wealth by 2017.
- North America and Europe will depend on returns from existing assets for more than half of their wealth growth.
Click here to receive free and immediate email alerts of the latest forecasts.