Salient to Investors:
Fareed Zakaria writes:
- Bret Stephens at the Wall Street Journal says Americans are about to repeat the lessons of the 1930s, when isolationism led to Hitler and WWII.
- Yet America spends more on defense than the next 10 great powers put together.
- Obama’s worldview is rooted in American exceptionalism. The US is in the astonishing position of being the world’s dominant power with many of the next most powerful nations all allies.
- The U.S. has exercised power, reluctantly. It entered WWI at the tail end of the war, entered WWII only after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.
- The last decade was devoted to the different idea that American power must be used actively, in pursuit of expansive goals beyond the narrow national interest. The result was thousands of dead American soldiers, hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians and millions ethnically cleansed, $2 trillion spent and the erosion of American influence and goodwill across the globe.
Read the full article at http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2143560,00.html.
Click here to receive free and immediate email alerts of the latest forecasts.