Salient to Investors:
Mark Miller writes:
- A growing number of employers are adding unbiased third-party investment guidance options as they work to improve their retirement plans.
- The best type of planner: independent advisers who have the fiduciary responsibility to put client interests first.
- A Deloitte Center for Financial Services survey found that 58 percent of Americans don’t have a retirement plan, 39 percent don’t think their returns will be sufficient to provide a decent retirement income, 57 percent prefer handling their own retirement planning, and 38 percent say they don’t need professional advice.
- Aon Hewitt, said one-third of all US plans offer a third-party investment advisory service either online or by phone, 25 percent offer in-person consultations, but only 15 percent of plan holders used a personalized advisory service in 2011.
- BLS says just 49 percent of workers at companies with 100 or fewer workers have access to a retirement savings plan on the job.
Read the full article at http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/28/us-column-miller-idUSBRE91R1A320130228
Click here to receive free and immediate email alerts of the latest forecasts.